Sunday, November 30, 2008

Clarity

For those who were even aware of this I never got a chance to fully explain much. I want to clear up some misconceptions real quick, from my own personal stand point.


First being that our old NAME was not Sever the Ties...in fact, for all intents and purposes, our old BAND was Sever the Ties. It started when I was 16 and ended when I was 18. During that time I had thought myself to be quite the know it all and followed Christianity pretty closely (to the best of my knowledge) because my girlfriend at the time had lead me in that direction after the split up of my family over matters of adultery. I've always been a pretty big enthusiasts and so I jumped right in and assured myself of the relevance of that religion in every way.


A few years had passed and much wasn't sitting right with me about calling myself a Christian (or about what the word really meant) or about forcing myself to write songs that I wasn't quite sure I felt.


The search for God quickly lead me to the search for truth and honesty and I found that honestly I was nowhere near or connected to what I had tried to do in the band Sever the Ties. Simultaneously the musical direction was changing. We had began seeking to find our own answers in more ways than one.


Decades formed slightly afterward. I was 18. We spent a year writing a demo that has recently been released as an EP called "Numbered". Since then we have been writing a load and have released demos of a few of those songs (i.e; H.I.H.A.
, Cig Burns), which leads me to my next point:

To the best of my knowledge I have never written an "anti-god" song. In fact, anyone who knows me probably knows that in some way I do believe in God. I just don't know what all that entails..

Decades has always been about searching and that original purpose was inspired by failed attempts of an earlier life.


Thanks for allowing me the time to merely explain myself. I don't want anyone to think that I write songs against God. I've written plenty of songs against things but that is one place, of many, in which I have no interest in telling people what to believe. My only interest is sharing the occupations of my heart and mind in hopes that maybe somebody, somewhere will be able to relate (by chance or design or whatever) and perhaps not feel so alone in this fucked up heap of a world. That's the way I felt when first listening to all the bands that made me want to play music and be a part of the punk community. That's all I can hope to do.


I apologize if my personal growth and soul-searching has left a bad taste in your mouth but all I know to do is keep trying to be as real with people as possible so that those mistakes of my past are not furthered.


Thanks for reading all of that.

-Cameron

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

As I'm sure you are aware, Cameron, life should continue as progressive, but not simply for progress' sake. I commend your willingness to grow and search. I hope motivation and the constant outstretch of curious arms in any dark you encounter continue to lead you.